Brazilian Wax – Know Before You Go
Here at Clean Slate, we offer a wide variety of waxing for our customers. Whether you are looking for a touch-up or are waxing for the first time, you will want to know the technique used when we wax and how to prepare for your visit and benefits afterward. In this article, we will offer some enlightenment on the waxing service known as a Brazilian wax.
How Is A Brazilian Wax Done?
The process of a Brazilian wax involves the grooming and removal of the pubic hair in the groin region – including those areas of the front of the pubic bone, the external genitals, the upper thighs, and the area around the anus. Depending on personal preference, you may have all the hair removed or opt to have a small strip left in the front.
Brazilian Wax Vs. A Bikini Line or Full Bikini Wax
Brazilian waxes and bikini line waxes are two different processes. With a bikini line wax, the hair in the region of the groin is typically cleaned up to prevent the unsightly appearance around the edges of the bottom of a swimsuit, on the bikini line sides, or that area lying between the pubic bone and the belly button.
Conversely, a full bikini wax will typically include a larger area. Not only does a full bikini wax include the areas of a bikini line wax, but also that area that consists of the front of the pubic bone. Customers can leave a strip, a triangle, or a square of hair behind.
A Brazilian wax takes each of the other two types of waxes a step further, resulting in the complete removal of pubic hair from the front of the pubic bone, the area underneath referred to as the perineum, and the anal area.
Preparing For Your Waxing Appointment
You should keep the following steps in mind to take before your actual appointment day at the salon:
- For the wax to adequately grip the hair, ensure that your hair is at least ¼ long on the day of your waxing. We do not recommend trimming before your appointment.
- A couple of days before the appointment, to aid in preventing ingrown hairs, gently exfoliate the area by using a buffing mitt or body scrub.
- Because tanning can make the skin significantly more sensitive, avoid any tanning seasons within 24 hours before your appointment.
- Both caffeine and alcohol are known to cause the pores to tighten when used. Minimize their usage within a day of your appointment, as they can cause the waxing to be more painful.
- For your maximum comfort, it is suggested that you wear loose bottoms or cotton underwear to the appointment.
- To aid in lessening any possible pain, it is advised that you take an OTC pain reliever at least 30 minutes before the procedure.
Is The Procedure Painful?
The simple answer is that the pain level can depend on your overall pain tolerance. Many have stated that the first appointment is the worst as far as pain, so it is best to keep that in mind. Many have also noted that the second and following appointments are significantly different.
Following The Procedure
Right after your appointment, ensure that you are making a concerted effort to give the waxed area(s) significantly more TLC than you usually do:
- If you are experiencing any amount of redness, discoloration, or tenderness, make use of a cool compress or hydrocortisone cream.
- Avoid any strenuous activities, saunas, such as workout classes that are medium to high impact or soaking in any water for 24 hours, as it may prove to be an irritation. Avoid anything that may cause irritation to the skin. A shower is fine.
- Because of the deep exfoliating nature of the waxing, it can make the area more sensitive to sun damage, so it is best to avoid any tanning sessions for at least 24 hours. We do not recommended tanning of any kind. We recommend wearing SPF 30 at minimum.
Other than the apparent result of a smoother surface, waxing is also a good form of deep exfoliation. Removal of hair via waxing is also less irritating to the skin than most other removal methods. If correctly performed, there will be less of a chance of rashes, bumps, or irritation than other methods such as using a epilator or shaving.
Call us today to schedule your Brazilian wax session at one of our two convenient locations in Austin and Georgetown.